Saturday, October 18, 2008

 

"Geese"!

As "Fall" descended upon Northwestern Ontario this year, I noticed that the geese that we are used to seeing in Manitoba migrating south just weren't there, especially in the Lake of the Woods area. I would see flocks of geese, but they were mostly in the Red Lake area, and of course they would appear out of the "clag" right in front of me as I was "flogging" along in bad wx. "Evasive action, Mr. Sulu"! Anyways, many American fishermen knew I was from Manitoba, and would ask how the "goose hunting" was where "I was from". I always told them there were 4or 5, or maybe 8 or 9 geese usually in the area I live. Well, yesterday and today, I went "goose hunting".......


Hecla Island, just across the harbour from Riverton, right in the front yards.......


Beautiful Canadian Geese........


Very healthy.............


Right beside the road.........


I needed to "pinch a loaf", so I headed for the "grunthouse"........


You could sit "on the throne" with the door open and goose hunt here.......


"Unforgiving" Lake Winnipeg.......


On the way home I came upon one "dumb" goose, actually a "ruffed grouse".........


Today I had to go to the "dump", which is just east of Arborg, about a 15 minute drive from where I live. I thought I would check out some farmer's fields along Highway 68.........


Snow Geese.......


Ross's Geese......


and Blue Geese (which are really Lesser Snow Geese).........






"Yup", I figure there are 4 or 5, or maybe 8 or 9 geese in the area I live in!

"Adios"!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home