Thursday, November 30, 2006

 

Winter Flying, "Bags of Fun"!

-20*C, clear skies, no wind. I love the mornings. Then I saw Dan McBeath shaking his head. His aircraft, C-207, C-FBHP was "stone cold". The "Little Buddy" heater inside the cowling had "cut out" last night. BHP would need "pre-heat". So, we built a campfire underneath it, careful not to "singe" the paint........Just kidding, we used a "gas-fired blow-pot", just like the Aviation Pioneers of the past used to use......Just kidding again. Today we have an easy life, due to technology. We used a.............

 "Herman Nelson"!

 Actually, an "Arcotherm" EC 20 "diesel-electric" heater!

 Filling the "old girl" full of hot air!

 Actually, a funny story from the past comes to mind. I was at Northway's hangar in Arnes in the early 90's, when the door flew open, and my old pilot buddy Shiloh Tegart blew in. It was winter. "Steve, where is the 'Thurman Munson'?" Shiloh was flying an Islander. I looked at Shiloh. "The what.....? I said. "The Thurman Munson, you know, the propane-fired heater to pre-heat the aircraft!" I said..."You mean the 'Herman Nelson'! Thurman Munson was a "catcher" for the New York Yankees!" Then we laughed "our asses off"! Of course today, I call any large industrial heater similar to a Herman Nelson a "Thurman Munson"! Shiloh? Today he flies a Dash 8 for North Cariboo! He is an outstanding pilot, and he sure came up with some funny sayings.

 Dan "gets her going"!

 

 Notice the "aluminum tape" on the oil cooler, helping to restrict the "frigid flow" through the cooler at these low temps. Works like a charm, and I always carry a roll in my "daypack". Also great for covering the wing air inlets, the "shark gills" on the side of the cowlings, the cabin air inlets, and the instrument cooling scoops.

 Later, I was airborne myself, and I headed north along "Unforgiving Lake Winnipeg", and she is finally "hibernating".

 The ice "pressure ridges" are already forming on Lake Winnipeg.

 Ah, my "Garmin 296", taking me straight to Berens River, CYBV. Notice the detail, showing the North Etomami River, Sandy Bar, Flathead Point, and the "Big Lake" herself.

 "Touchdown", Berens River!

 About 45 minutes later, I had left Berens River, and was on final for Runway 18 at "Bloodvein River", CZTA!

 Short, steep "final", using the 4X "zoom" on my Canon PowerShot A530. Actually, I don't recommend taking pictures on "final" if you are flying, basically, "do as I say, not as I do".

 Today, the last word of my "Post" goes to Darren Manganaro, flying Northway's Gippsland GA8 Airvan, as he leaves for "afternoon sched"......"Adios"! Posted by Picasa

Comments:
Hey Steve,
It is funny you know the first thing I thought,even before reading the full post,was I am sure Steve means a Thurman Munson, of course chuckling to myself thinking of Shilo as I am pretty sure I saw you guys that same day and lost my ass laughing. There were some hiliarious moments working at Northway in those days and I certainly remeber Shilo fondly.

One of our Twin Otters down here is going through quite a refit and I am doing my best to document the various stages. When I am done I'l send it your way. We pretty much have our own DHC6 assembly plant down here.

Rob
 
Hey Steve,
It is funny you know the first thing I thought,even before reading the full post,was I am sure Steve means a Thurman Munson, of course chuckling to myself thinking of Shilo as I am pretty sure I saw you guys that same day and lost my ass laughing. There were some hiliarious moments working at Northway in those days and I certainly remember Shilo fondly.

One of our Twin Otters down here is going through quite a refit and I am doing my best to document the various stages. When I am done I'l send it your way. We pretty much have our own DHC6 assembly plant down here.

I may have posted this a couple of times.Sorry about that if I did.

Rob
 
Post a Comment

<< Home